Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Design 1 crossover

  1. #1
    Inactive Member KLinsberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2007
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello all.

    I was redirected here form a user on prosoundweb for help.

    I am looking for a pair of Design 1 crossovers. I inherited the speakers and am looking to rebuild them, as the cones were non original, teh horns may be bead and the crossovers are just not in good condition form storage.

    Ive attached links to photos of the crossover I have.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    -Kasey

    18
    19

  2. #2
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Anybody?

    As for rebuilding the speakers, I am not sure what drivers were in those cabinets, but if anybody can fix them it would be Great Plains Audio.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Design 1 crossover


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Looks like a pretty cheap crossover, and I don't recall that speaker. They must not have been common, therefore parts will probably be scarce.
    I would suggest if the boxes are decent, loading/tuning them with Altec components and get a better set of Altec crossovers to match,

    Only other plan is to post everywhere, Usenet groups, every forum you can find, free boards like craigslist, keep checking Ebay, and hope for the best.

    There probably is a set somewhere. If these have sentimental value, you may have to resign yourself to finding a good pair to cannibalize.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Design 1 crossover


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Can you post a picture of the horns in those cabs? Any numbers on the horns?

    Altecs production of home speakers ended with the bankruptcy. Actually it was the second bankruptcy.

    Design I doesn't sound like a 50's or 60's name I would assume they would have to be from 70 to 82 or so.

    This is assuming they ain't Sparko's. I just can't find ANYTHING on them, not even a peep at Google. Makes me wonder.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have seen a few sets of design 1s on that auction site. Zero bids and numerous relists.

    I seriously doubt GPA would get involved with these at all but it won't hurt to make a call.

    A while back, 6 months or more, there was a poster here or at the LH site who had a bunch of them from an old theater tear out where they were used as satellites. She went by the ebay ID of ruready2ride and I'm not sure if all were sold off or not.

    Gary

  6. #6
    Inactive Member KLinsberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2007
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The boxes are actually in very good condition and seem to be well built. If I cant find replacement parts for its original design I would have no problem loading it with something else. Any recommendations for that would be welcome. I'll list all dimensions.

    Woofer: 9-1/8" diameter opening
    Horn: 4-7/8"x2-3/4"
    Bass Porthole: 2" diameter

    Box:
    Height: 24"
    Width: 14-1/2"
    Depth: 10-1/4"

    23
    24
    25
    26
    27
    28

  7. #7
    Inactive Member KLinsberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2007
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Also, the ply is 3/4" thick. Dont know if that is needed info but I figure anything I can let you guys know will work in my interest.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Design 1 crossover


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    The horn looks like University- so replacements may be possible, or just a matching driver, the driver may be different colr and cosmetics since there were retail and OEM items. the OEM versions were kinda plain, since they werent normally seen unless the cabinet was opened.

    Woofs were probably sub contracted to an outside supplier, Altec used CTS, Eminence, and Utah that I know of. The only way to get woofs is prolly to buy another set of cabs. I doubt youll find them unless you see a set parted out on FeePay.

    Two options- just a good quality woofer and tune the box to it, or a set of REAL Altec 12's and tune the boxes to them. The tweets will have to work harder to keep up with 414's, so if you like to push them, it's your risk. Those tweets sound okay- not great, not bad. I wouldn't spend much on them unless they have sentimental value.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member KLinsberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2007
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Nope, they have no sentimental value. I was just wanting to use the boxes as they seem pretty good and figured it would be easiest to replace with what it came with originally.

    So, if I scratch that idea,and go with all new drivers, crossovers, what would you recommend loading it with instead?

    And, to show my ignorance on these kind of boxes, how do you tune them?

  10. #10
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    No expert here Kasey but I think your plan to reload with other drivers migh be a good solution.
    I think I would start with exact interior Volume measurements. You can get close enough by taking exterior L X W X D numbers and subtracting an inch and a half from each for the 3/4" thickness of each side.
    Once you know the numbers there are programs like Box Plot that can give you some guidance in picking what woofers work well in that size box.
    It might take some fiddeling in the program punching in various available woofers to get a good match. I think it is usually done the other way around, pick the woofer and horn and then design the box.
    Tuning is a matter of port size that matches the drivers you use in the size box you have. Again, this could be close from the box plot program and may need some final adjustment after all is done.
    I don't have the box plot program but it shouldn't be hard to locate. Since there is no sentimental thing going on here you can use other then Altec components and places like Parts Express and others might also provide some guidance.
    You will find all kinds of help here for the higher end home and pro altec speakers but I think the design 1s miss the mark a bit but that doesn't mean they can't be made to sound great for that size speaker.
    I think if I were you I would post some questions in a DIY section of other audio forums because some guys just love crunching numbers and comming up with propper load designs.
    Although we love altec here, that doesn't mean they have to be all altec to sound good.

    Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.